The Groovyyurts is an authentic Mongolian yurt that is an extremely efficient home developed over 3000 years ago in one of the planet’s harshest climates.
- 285 sq ft, 19 ft diameter
- Aerodynamic design and easy assembly
- Groovyyurts sources from family-run Mongolian businesses
This is a winterized yurt package and includes the following:
- A complete layer of natural felt insulation for easy heating & cooling
- Clear vinyl dome covering
- Extra water resistant layer
- Canadian-made insulated flooring kit
This yurt does not include a bathroom or kitchen.
All yurt packages and materials have been selected by Groovyyurts to withstand the more humid climates of North American weather as compared to the arid Mongolian climate.
*Apart from the first yurt product photo, all other photos are shown as general examples of yurts rather than reflecting the exact size of a 16 ft yurt. Furnishings shown in photos do not come included with the yurt.
Please call Close to Home for a free consultation.
Dimensions: 19 ft diameter
Interior: 285 sq ft
Wall height: 5 ft
Center height: 7.5 ft
Comfortably sleeps: 2 people
Outside canvas covering: 10 year “at cost” warranty – if the canvas needs to be replaced, you’ll get 30% off list price.
SIPs flooring: 1 year limited warranty
(For aficionados of traditional yurts we’ve included the Mongolian yurt part names)
Water resistant layer for optimal protection from wet weather
Insulated 3” SIPs flooring platform with a removable 6” rim
1 wood frame opening that includes a solid wood exterior door and a double French interior door with windows
1 compression ring/dome (the toono) covered on its front half with a very basic Plexiglas covering and a hole for chimney
1 clear vinyl dome covering (the urgh) for maximum natural lighting within the yurt
2 central posts (the bagaans)
5 wall sections to create the circumference of the yurt
A set of roof rafters (the huns)
Door and doorframe, dome, posts and roof rafters are hand painted with traditional Mongolian motifs
1 cotton first liner
1 layer of white felt
1 piece of water resistant decorated canvas roof covering (the berzine)
1 bottom decorative skirt (the rayartch)
All necessary ropes
Instructional set-up manual
Because yurts are easily and efficiently heated with the use of a wood-burning stove, the dome incorporates a stove pipe hole.
While the yurt does not come with plumbing or electrical systems, you can easily add these with the help of a licensed professional.
Unlike industrial products, Groovyyurts are handmade so measurements (diameter, sq ft, etc.) may not be precise but this will not affect assembly or the finished structure.
- 3-4 unskilled people, half a day – including installing SIPs flooring
- To assemble the yurt – no tools needed
- To assemble the SIPs flooring – power drill & a long ratchet strap needed
- When using the SIPs flooring kit that comes with the yurt, you will need to either lay a gravel ground foundation or build a post and beam support frame to insure ventilation and prevent mold.
- Once either of these is in place, you can install the SIPS flooring on top of it.
- Weight of yurt only: approx. 900 lbs
- Size: 100 cu. ft
- The yurt will be transported by Groovyyurts themselves in their very own truck.
- The materials used to make a Groovyyurt are mostly natural and are exclusively produced in Mongolia.
- As a company, Groovyyurts emphasizes fair trade business practices, sustainable development and respect of cultural tradition in Mongolia by buying yurts and materials directly from family-run businesses. They also support and participate in rural initiatives, including a yearly tree-planting program. They plant 25 trees in Mongolia for every Groovyyurt sold.
- Door and door frame, compression ring/dome, central posts, roof rafters and wall sections: Wood sourced from Mongolia, thoroughly dried
- Door frame windows: plexiglass
- Dome windows: vinyl
- SIPs flooring: 3” pre-cut Styrofoam-insulated panels installed with tongue and groove construction, treated plywood, the footprint of the flooring matches the diameter of the yurt
- SIPs plywood treatment: top side – Thomson Water seal; underside – Cystalex, a low VOC stain
- First liner: Twill weaved cotton
- Felt insulation: 100% white wool
- Water resistance layer: Novawrap Aspire made in Canada – similar to Tyvek but a better product for yurt purposes
- All paints on wood: non-VOC paints
- Roof covering and skirt: Water resistant plain weaved canvas
- Ropes: natural braided horsehair
- With appropriate maintenance, lifespan of a yurt can be 30 years +